School Project - In Memory of OACA Former Board Officer Mr. Alexander S. Mar
This is the first time for Olympia Area Chinese Association (OACA) to initiate this kind of project.
OACA, originally Olympia Area Chinese Fellowship, was established in June 1980. Many volunteers had devoted their time/efforts/money to support this organization. We think that the footprints of any significant contributing members should be recorded to inspire the successors. This is the way we shall appreciate their hard-work.
Mr. Alexander S. Mar (馬瑞山) was one of those volunteers and had served as Secretory, Vice President of Education, President, and Chinese School Principal. He had contributed lots of his time/efforts to make the organization/school growing. He passed away in the year 2010. It is important for us and young generations to know his history/dedications and remember him.
This project is in need of 1-3 high schooler(s) to write an article to memorialize former OACA board member Mr. Alexander S. Mar.
Writer Electing Requirements:
|Project Information |
||In Memory of OACA Former Board Officer Mr. Alexander S. Mar |
||An article (2000+ words) with photos in PDF, Microsoft Word or Google Doc|
|Number of Writers:
||1 - 3 high schooler(s). This is a team project|
||June 30th, 2018|
||July 30th, 2018|
||Interviewing Mr. Mar’s family, visiting his colleagues at Evergreen State College and/or OACA former board members/school principals, and reviewing the board archived documents.|
- The writer’s name will be shown on the article.
- A Certificate of Appreciation.
- Receive high school volunteer hours.
- A news article posted on OACA website and Facebook with writer’s name, photo, and certificate.
In order to make sure this project is completed with high quality, the requirements will be:
- The applicant must submit a letter to contact@OlympiaChinese.org by June 30th, 2018 with a description telling us why you would like to be a part of this project.
- The board and principal will review applicants' letters to decide who has qualified. An interview between applicant and board/principal might be needed. The interview notice will be emailed soon after application submission, if necessary.