2021 UCA Summer University
Chinese American Youth Leader Program
Dear UCA Family and Friends,
We are excited to announce we have launched the inaugural UCA Summer University, a program designed to provide to students top-notch training classes and networking opportunities with prestigious Chinese American scholars, educators, entrepreneurs, elected officials, and civic leaders to catalyze Chinese American youth leaders.
Cultivating and training the next generation of Chinese American young leaders is a critical mission of UCA. To ready these youth to fully participate in American public, political and civic life, and to fully prepare them to successfully transition from high school to a rewarding college life and a challenging world, a pivotal phase in their life, UCA Summer University has specifically designed this certified training program for Chinese American high school and college students.
The program offers one week of virtual class training, with 8–10 lectures covering 8 to 10 crucial subject matters, with a total of 16 to 20 class hours. The lectures are to be delivered by the top-notch speakers who have the real-life experience or wisdom to share and interact with these students. The topics covered in 2021 program are all critical issues and knowledge that a student usually do not have opportunities to learn at school or at home. We believe this is the best gift parents can give to their college-bound children or to those already in college. And for a Chinese American youth, this will be the most rewarding few hours you could spend for this summer!
What are specific class schedule and topics?
Please refer to the class schedule on our website？
What can students get out of it?
Class topics including identity formation, civic engagement, intergenerational dialogue, practical skills in social entrepreneurship, media literacy, and campaigning will cultivate a cohort of Chinese American youth bound to become change agents creating alliances in their diverse communities.
In culmination, students will have the opportunity to translate the knowledge and skills they learned at USU into their own multi-media Capstone Project uplifting the Chinese American community under the mentorship of a Certified PBS Media Educator.
· All students will be awarded a certificate of achievements at the end of the USU.
· Each of the top five students will be awarded a scholarship of $500.
· BIG BONUS! All high school students’ media submissions will be published on the online nationwide showcase of KQED. Select submissions will be aired on KQED broadcasts and shared with partner PBS and NPR stations around the country.
Eligibility, cost and registration
· All high school and college students are eligible to apply.
· Deadline to apply: June 18, 2021
· Cost: For general public $125; For UCA members and partner organizations: $100
· To apply and register, please click here.
For inquiries, please contact UCA Youth Program Director, Qi, Hong at email@example.com
UCA (United Chinese Americans)